Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Apropos

The age of creating mixes for the purposes of wooing a significant other are over, thankfully, but that doesn't mean the perfect song doesn't come along. I guess I'm still in some state of grief over the loss of Scamper. The denial is mostly over but I've moved into a questioning phase. Basically, I take it a day at a time and keep occupied with other things. Trying to find my way back to regular living, if you will. And that's where the lyrics of a song by Red called "Ordinary World" come in.

Barring the fact the artist is talking about a lost love--as in a person--the first verse and chorus still strike me to my core as describing the state I'm pretty much in.

Came in from a rainy Thursday on the avenue,
thought I heard you talking softly.
I turned on the lights, the TV, and the radio,
but still I can't escape the ghost of you.

What is happening to me, crazy, some would say.
Where is the life that I recognize, gone away.

And I won't cry for yesterday--
there's an ordinary world, somehow, I have to find.
And as I try to make my way to the ordinary world,
I will learn to survive.

No comments: