Sunday, November 28, 2010

NaNoWriMo

MANY years ago, when I was involved in the student ministry at my church, we would regularly make silly videos.  We spoofed Monty Python and the Matrix at the highlight of our film-making.  I then wrote a silly script based on Lord of the Rings that we were going to do.  But due to circumstances I won't go into here, it never happened.

Well, every year about this time--namely November--National Novel Writing Month occurs.  I've written about it before and have always wanted to participate but never have.  The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in November.  Well I took the script that has been gathering virtual dust and turned it into a book.  I'll be the first to say it really sucks.  Just looking over it...it's awful.  The characterizations are tripe and as superficial as can be.  And in some places, I felt like I got too preachy.  The "battles" are horribly written.  Enough criticism, though.  The point was to write 50,000 words, draft quality. I made it to 51,928. That's something like 95 pages in Word (although I'm using a Mac program called Scrivener.) You can check out how I did over the month.

To be honest, I don't think I'll go back and fix it up.  And I'm so unhappy with it, I don't even know that I'll finish it.  BUT...I did meet the goal and wanted to share that victory.  So yay me!  However awful it is, I wrote my first novel.

No comments: